Cotton Club Blog

December - Sequin shift top

February 23, 2017
December - Sequin shift top



I have decided that my New Year's resolution is going to be to use up fabric and patterns that I have already got at home! It is so easy to hoard fabric and keep things just incase I may need them, in a very specific situations. Which NEVER happens!

SO, I am going to try to make one thing; either a garment or project, a month using either fabric or a pattern from my vast array of stored 'what if' fabrics.

The first project for my New Years resolution is a pink sequin shift top which ticks both boxes! I used a pattern I had stored AND I used fabric that i already had. Even the sequin fabric was left over scraps from work so I could cut it up to applique it around the hem and the cuffs!

The front and the back of the top were the same pattern piece, so I had to make sure I cut along the relevant stylelines for the front vs the back.





I cut out the sleeves one at a time as I needed to be efficient with the use of my fabric because it was a remnant.




I ironed 'bondawebb' to the back of the sequin fabric so that once I had pinned it in place I could iron it on and it would stick to the fabric. I cut the shapes of the sequin fabric one the top as I went to that I could choose the design.



I find that if I use 'bondawebb' it is then much easier to sew applique in place, as you can take out the pins and everything stays exactly in place.




It was very difficult to sew the sequins, it was so thick that I did break a few needles!



Aaaaaand finished!!














 

Flowery Trousers

February 22, 2017


At Cotton Club we made a pair of trousers so that we could learn zip flies and pockets, this pair of trousers are made from the kwik sew pattern 3540

One of the ladies on the course had a fabric I loved s much that I went out to buy the same from C&H fabrics in Tunbridge Wells, it was a one way stretch cotton, perfect for trousers.






Pockets take a lot of concentration...



...So do zip flies.



I did an overlocking stitch over the raw edges to encase the fraying fabric in the seams.














Continue reading...
 

Peter Pan Collar Top

February 22, 2017


I made the peter pan collar top from the Sewing Bee book. 

The sizing came up way off, very small, so I had to make the top bigger and increase the sleeve head twice! which meant i almost ran out of fabric. 

In hindsight I would have also made the top longer so that I didn't feel self conscious when I raised my arms.




I cut all the pieces out.






The collar was made from a sheer fabric, I interfaced it to stiffen it so that I could manipulate it to lay flat as the collar should.







I may be a sucker for ...

Continue reading...
 

January - Pushchair insert

February 7, 2017


I had a fair amount of fabric left over from re-covering Olivia's rocking chair, and making a set of cot bumpers, so I decided to make a pushchair insert to use up more of the fabric.

I cut out the fabric and then 3 layers of wadding to pad it out.




I had to really carefully measure out where the strap holes needed to be, and then I sewed a buttonhole. I had to freehand the buttonhole as it was too big for the machine foot.

        



I rethreaded the straps through to check the positioning and the ...

Continue reading...
 

February - Cotton Club Sewing Machine Covers

February 6, 2017


With the machine covers at Cotton Club looking worse for wear, ripped and useless, I decided to under
take the project of making EIGHT new covers.



I had lots of white cotton fabric in my chest of drawers so thought I could use that to make the body of the covers. I also cut out pockets to go on the back of the cover.



I added colour to the covers by making the ends colourful prints also in cotton. 



I measured each machine to make sure the hole for the handle was in the right place, as the old pla...

Continue reading...