Cotton Club Blog

Showing category "2017 New Years resolution" (Show all posts)

June - Floral skirt

Posted by Abi Currer on Friday, June 9, 2017, In : 2017 New Years resolution 




This month I used a Prima pattern that somebody was throwing away, and have now made good use of it! It is a pleated skirt, with 2 at the front and 2 at the back to give it some shape.
 The fabric I used for this skirt can only be described as a waffle effect crepe, it's unusual but quite cool. The fact that the print is so vibrant and bold is right up my street!



I had to trace the pattern off before I started as it was on a double sided piece of paper and I needed both sides! Once everything h...

Continue reading ...
 

May - Summer Romper

Posted by Abi Currer on Saturday, May 27, 2017, In : 2017 New Years resolution 



This months pattern came free with my magazine subscription and the soft jersey fabric was given to me by a friend so all in all a very valid month!!




Cutting out the pattern pieces with a cup of tea while Olivia naps.




               


Once all of the pieces were cut out, I sewed the shoulder seams together and pressed them open, I then sewed the facing to the yoke around the neckline.

In order to help the facing stay inside the romper I under stitched it to the seam allowance and pressed it.


I gath...

Continue reading ...
 

April - Pussy bow blouse

Posted by Abi Currer on Wednesday, April 19, 2017, In : 2017 New Years resolution 




This month is another double whammy for my New Years resolution - a pattern I was given and fabric that I had in storage! I made the top version, but it think that come Autumn I will make the dress version ready to wear with boots and tights.




I used a chiffon type fabric to it is lightweight but also quite slippery and therefore trickier to work with. Once I had cut out the pieces I marked my dart notches with taylor tacks so that I didn't mark the white fabric. CHalk is supposed to 'rub out' ...

Continue reading ...
 

March - Flowery shift dress

Posted by Abi Currer on Friday, March 10, 2017, In : 2017 New Years resolution 



This month is a 'double whammy!' I used a pattern I had in my pattern stash and used fabric I bought last summer and never used! So twice as many points for this months New Years Resolution make.


This is the pattern I used...






I cut it all out, making sure the pattern pieces laid the correct way on the fabric so that the stretch was around the body.




I ironed the interfacing onto the facing pieces, then sewed them together at the shoulders and the side seams. Then with right sides together I sewed...

Continue reading ...
 

Mini project - Chair cover

Posted by Abi Currer on Wednesday, March 1, 2017, In : 2017 New Years resolution 



Now that Olivia is weaning she is in the Bumbo alot, which means she is on one of our fabric chairs, alot. So anything she drops or spits inevitably marks the cloth. So I have taken a remnant of oilcloth and made a chair cover which is wipeable for any spillages.


BEFORE COVER...





I placed the oil cloth remnant upside down on the seat and turned over the back edge so that it was a neat double turned hem.





I pinned a dart in each of the front corners to fit the oil cloth to the seat.




I put a teflon f...

Continue reading ...
 

Mini Project - Bibs

Posted by Abi Currer on Thursday, February 23, 2017, In : 2017 New Years resolution 



I used up some extra cotton fabric that I bought to make bits and pieces for Olivia by making some bibs. It is such a small pattern piece that I could fit it into the scraps.




I backed the bibs with micro towelling, it feels a bit weird to touch but does the job perfectly.





I sewed the two layers together with right sides facing. Then I clipped the corners to reduce the bulk when I turned it through.




I left an opening at the bottom of the bib so that I could turn it through. I slip stitched it clo...

Continue reading ...
 

December - Sequin shift top

Posted by Abi Currer on Thursday, February 23, 2017, In : 2017 New Years resolution 



I have decided that my New Year's resolution is going to be to use up fabric and patterns that I have already got at home! It is so easy to hoard fabric and keep things just incase I may need them, in a very specific situations. Which NEVER happens!

SO, I am going to try to make one thing; either a garment or project, a month using either fabric or a pattern from my vast array of stored 'what if' fabrics.

The first project for my New Years resolution is a pink sequin shift top which ticks both ...

Continue reading ...
 

January - Pushchair insert

Posted by Abi Currer on Tuesday, February 7, 2017, In : 2017 New Years resolution 


I had a fair amount of fabric left over from re-covering Olivia's rocking chair, and making a set of cot bumpers, so I decided to make a pushchair insert to use up more of the fabric.

I cut out the fabric and then 3 layers of wadding to pad it out.




I had to really carefully measure out where the strap holes needed to be, and then I sewed a buttonhole. I had to freehand the buttonhole as it was too big for the machine foot.

        



I rethreaded the straps through to check the positioning and the ...

Continue reading ...
 

February - Cotton Club Sewing Machine Covers

Posted by Abi Currer on Monday, February 6, 2017, In : 2017 New Years resolution 


With the machine covers at Cotton Club looking worse for wear, ripped and useless, I decided to under
take the project of making EIGHT new covers.



I had lots of white cotton fabric in my chest of drawers so thought I could use that to make the body of the covers. I also cut out pockets to go on the back of the cover.



I added colour to the covers by making the ends colourful prints also in cotton. 



I measured each machine to make sure the hole for the handle was in the right place, as the old pla...

Continue reading ...